Eduardo Cano de la Peña (1823-1897)Cano was born in Madrid but moved as a child to Sevilla where his father became chief architect of the city. He started to study art there at the art school Santa Isabel de Hungría. After the death of his fathers he returned to Madrid and studied art at the academy under Federico de Madrazo one of the best Spanish history painters. Madroza provided him with the commission to paint some historical portraits of Spanish monarchs, which formed part of a greater series exhibited in the Prado.
Later he moved to Paris to continue his studies. There he did his best known painting "Columbus in the Convent of La Rábida", which earned him the first medal at the national exposition in 1856 and is still property of the Prado. Later he returned to Sevilla where he became chief curator of the museum of fine arts and professor at the art school.
Eduardo Cano de la Peña was a Romantic painter focusing on colours and illumination. As subjects he focused on history like many Romantics in this time, but he did also some religious paintings.